We didn’t budget for new appliances. We wrongfully assumed all the appliances would be in tip top shape. This is the fourth house we’ve purchased together and you’d think we’d know better by now.
Scott recently returned from a quick trip to Anchorage with a new dryer and my much desired and anticipated dishwasher. Much to Scott’s dismay neither install was easy. We pulled out the old washer and discovered it was hard wired in. Neither of us had seen this before. Gratefully Scott knew how make a plug and I had added white outlets and plates to our last Amazon purchase so we had everything we needed.
After the wiring set back Scott had an issue with the washer hookups. He ran around town trying to create the part he needed cursing Bosch for not including the part with the machine. Turns out the hose he bought for the dishwasher had the attachment piece he needed. He was not happy with himself.
And there he is. All shiny and new. I have no plans to remove the sheet of wrap that protects it. Maybe when we move or the kids move out.
That same night Scott tackled the dryer. The deal with the dryer was that we had to covert it to propane rather than the natural gas it was set up for. We had to take apart the entire machine to get to the part that we needed to change out.
Scott contemplated going to appliance school since this job went smoothly despite all the labor involved. He did good! Everything went back together nicely. No odd screw left over.
So now I have my “not really needed” dryer working perfectly. If you don’t know what I mean about the “not needed” statement you’ll need to read my dryer vent post from a week ago.
So hopefully all the appliances are good for now and I can focus on painting. These vaulted ceiling are taking up some time and paint! I’ll post some before and after pictures soon.
My lint eater turned out to be more useful and more expensive then I thought. After cleaning out my vents the dryer started throwing out gang signs. E46, AP…eek! Error, error, error. The dryer started smelling really hot too. It’s a propane dryer and it makes me nervous because I’ve never used gas before. Only electric. Crap! And guess what…SCOTT WAS GONE!
I assumed it had to do with my duct tape job so I undid it and continued to use it however my house was super moist and the laundry room had lint sticking to the walls. If I didn’t explain before the dryer didn’t have a dryer hose. The duct from the dryer was just rest near the duct from the wall. Scott duct taped it together until we bought a hose but I undid it to clean out the vents and dryer. When I was finished, I taped it up again. Now fast forward a couple days, Scott comes home with my new dryer. We assumed like every other appliance in the house the dryer was dying. We (as in he) converted the dryer to propane and hooked it up. It worked but the room was still really humid (I used humid because I know my friend Abby appreciated me not using the M word). We came to the conclusion there must be a clog. It’s possible the old dryer does work. Oops!
Scott traveled into the crawl space which was a blessing because we discovered that we really need to get that area fixed up. It’s a wet land mine down there. He undid part of the dryer ducting and saw a huge clog. I put my handy dandy lint mover together and went outside to push the lint out. Omg it was BIG and smelt like nasty laundry detergent. It was wet which is exactly why I didn’t get it out the first time because I didn’t take any ducts apart and was using the wimpy brush not the heavy duty one.
Sooo, the old dryer really wasn’t broke 😬
But we can sell it. Not for the price of the new dryer 😬 but maybe a quarter of it. And my new household fixer item proved it’s worth again!!
We are tackling more projects this Labor Day weekend so I’ll post some more pictures later.